Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Blog post #1

     Working with the youth or children is rewarding. I have been working with children for eleven years and it has it's ups and downs. I will say I have had days that have been rough and others that have been fun and exciting. I currently work with the ages 3-5 and all I can say is wow. For example: just listening to the conversations the children have with each other is great. Just the language these children have is unbelievable. So I do agree with the article when they say it is rewarding to work with the youth. I personally love to see their progress and watch them grow.
     Youth work is an educational practice. I would definitely say that this is true. Just because I work in a daycare does not mean I do not need an education. Times are changing and the requirements to work in a daycare have changed. Currently I have to take classes about the Rhode Island Early Learning Standards. Daycare workers have to be certified in all three classes they offer. Also it is required to have knowledge in Iters and Ecers for BrightStars. It is a high demanding job working in the daycare field, but like I said before it is all for the children and making sure they succeed.
     This article really said everything that I currently do and believe in. Working with the youth or children is a way to make a difference in their lives, even if it is just one. I have a friend who is the founder of Project Night Vision in Providence, working to get youth off the streets, he goes beyond the call of duty. He does a lot for the youth in Providence by having car washes, backpack drives, midnight basketball leagues and much more. I feel like in this field you have to go beyond the call of duty. I know in my own classroom I do go beyond. I am always striving to do better and improve how I run my classroom. I am always looking for classes to take and looking for new ideas. For example, I am currently taking the next Rhode Island Early Learning Standards class on classroom. We talked about curriculum and lesson plans. From taking this course I have changed my planbook and it was for the good of the classroom and for the children. I have to say it is working really well and the children are learning and growing because of the change.
     I will continue to learn and grow as well as help our youth and children be successful.
Christina Boone




No comments:

Post a Comment