Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A World Where Youth Hold the Power

The main ideas of this article is to talk about what Youth in Action does. They have teenagers that run the organization and help make decisions. The organization was started by teenagers that wanted to build strong relationships with their communities. The organization spoke a lot about Providence and the people that live there. They spoke about how the building was an important part to the organization. It is amazing to read about how they decided to design the inside of the building. The article also spoke with other youth about how they have been impacted. Youth engagement through the entire building was a big part of setting this program up. They want the youth to strive and make changes in the community.
I personally do not have any examples from when I was a youth. I do want to say that these programs are not necessary important only in Providence, but in other parts of the state as well. Every town needs to have programs for the youth. I do agree with the fact that the building is important for a successful program. I work at a daycare and the inside and outside of the building definetly needs to have a good sense of energy. For me it is also the classrooms for each age group as well.
I do have someone that does have a youth program in Providence called Project Night Vision. Reading this article makes me thing of him and all the things he does for the youth in Providence. He makes the youth a big part of his organization and they help out as well. When I was growing up I never had the opportunity to be part of a youth program. Working with 3-5 year olds, we are getting them to strive and help them to be part of the community. It all begins at a young age, but the youth is important as well since sometimes they get left behind. The main goal should be to have every town in Rhode Island with a youth program. Let's make a difference one youth at a time.
Christina Boone




2 comments:

  1. I like that you mentioned the 3-5 age group. A lot of attention goes to the teens in youth work. But I like that you suggest the YIA programs can be integrated into the way we work with the preschool age group, its never too early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna - we see a lot of programs centered for teens but if we focused on earlier age groups maybe we wouldn't need so many programs as they grew up. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete